The PR card in Canada facilitates in many ways to its permanent residents. It requires, especially when flying to or from Canada or within the country. Thus, without Canada PR renewal requirements and guidelines, many transportation services will be off-limits for you.
Henceforth, you must always make sure your PR card is present and valid before your card expires. This article aims to help you know about PR renewal requirements and related things to keep your PR updated.
- 1 Requirements for PR Card Renewal
- 2 Eligibility of PR Card Renewal
- 3 The Application
- 4 The Steps/Process of the PR Card Renewal
- 5 How Long Does It Take to Renew PR?
- 6 Urgent Procedure:
- 7 Payment Process
- 8 Name or Title Alteration
- 9 Conclusion
Requirements for PR Card Renewal
The officials only require you to renew your PR card in the circumstances like these:
- The PR card you had, has expired or will within this year.
- Someone stole your PR card, or the state destroyed it due to misuse.
- You haven’t updated the legal name or information change on the card.
- The PR card you applied for hasn’t been delivered to you yet after arriving in Canadian territory in 180 days.
Eligibility of PR Card Renewal
Make sure you have eligibility with the requirements given below for your PR card renewal:
- You should complete the application within the Canadian territory.
- The applicant has to be living in Canada for a minimum of 730 days for five years.
Otherwise, presence is not required when:
- The applicant is travelling with a guardian or a parent or a providing partner.
- Works full-time within Canada or remotely, in a legal Canadian-owned workplace.
- Is alongside a permanent resident that is active in any Canadian workforce.
- The applicant must fill up a PR document for a travel permit before applying for their PR cards in Canada.
They will require an application from you for a PR card. You will need to have a filled-up application for the renewal of your PR card with a checklist document and ID photocopies and a receipt of payment or its duplicate. All of these documents are the primary needs for an accomplished pack of your application.
To replace your old card with the renewed card, applicants must fill up form IMM 5444 with the abovementioned necessities. You can also complete this form for missing and stolen PR cards. They will charge you a reasonable fee for the procedure.
Documents Required for Renewal
- The PR card.
- Return it to a local IRCC office when you receive your renewed PR card.
- Copy of your passport or valid travel permit. The access and travel pass you retained when you received your first PR is also acceptable.
- Photocopies must be clear.
- Photographs with the requirements specified in the document, fulfilled. There is an appendix available to you that identifies details about photo specifications.
- ID cards or documents in the checklist are available.
- The individual has to be respectable without any conviction, especially that of abuse of their permanent residence.
The Steps/Process of the PR Card Renewal
- The officials will guide the submission of the documents. They show you with any inquiry or have you download forms to complete from the IRCC.
- The applicant will have to pay the fee for the application filing to the government through an online route. The price is not similar to the cost for Immigration Direct. It is only $50 at the time.
- After some time, they will send the PR card to you, or you will have to collect the card yourself.
How Long Does It Take to Renew PR?
The procedure for renewal can be lengthy or reasonable. It can take from many weeks to a couple of months. We recommend renewing the PR card before its expiry, so other uses don’t disrupt the time to process the new card.
However, when travelling abroad from Canada, you might not have checked that the card has reached its expiry.
The renewal application might also be yet to do. In this case, you can rush the procedure time in several ways.
To carry out an urgent procedure, the applicant must delineate his situation to achieve the PR card as soon as possible or sooner than usual.
The causes that will attain you the urgent application:
- Travelling abroad for a serious illness of your own.
- Travelling abroad for the demise of a family.
- Travelling abroad for work.
Documents Needed for the Emergency in Processing
The applicant must address the documents in either English or French. The inability to show every piece of the necessary information listed below may disqualify you from urgent processing.
- Copy of travel documents or tickets for evidence should show the location of travel and travel dates.
- The method of payment with the amount and date should show a copy of the document as evidence.
- The applicant has to submit a letter to explain his emergency
- Evidence of a valid crisis ( medical papers with doctor’s advice, certificate of passing of a family member, employer’s permit)
The application process requires a fee and to submit the payment, and they will request you a few things, such as
- Your active email address.
- A printed receipt.
- A credit card or debit card of a Canadian bank.
Name or Title Alteration
If you have changed your name from your last name printed on the PR documents, you will have to show your ID documents and other legal proof showing your name change.
Another copy of the change of name through a court or adoption order is also mandatory. Either that or a certificate of matrimony/ issued divorce with your new name written on it will also do. Suppose you have a copy of registration in any institution with your new name on it.
In that case, you must show it within the legal borders of Canada to a civil agent for acceptance for PR renewal.
Hopefully, this article has given you a good insight into how to renew your PR card. With the Canada PR renewal requirements and guidelines in Canada given here, you should know what documents you should prepare for your PR renewal.
Therefore, you must submit your application before your PR card expires. Remember to have it with you as you head out or abroad.