Canada is the land of the prospect. Millions of people from around the world wish to become a permanent residents in Canada every single year. Among them, the number of successful applicants has been increased to over 300,000 people per year.
So, would you like to be a permanent resident in Canada? Excellent, as the chances are high. The government of Canada welcomes thousands of people every year, and you can be the luckiest one, just like those people.
Only you need to know how to be a permanent resident in Canada. If you are excited about becoming a permanent resident in Canada, read ahead to learn more.
- 1 Understand the Permanent Resident Status
- 2 Canada’s Immigration Programs
- 3 How to Get Permanent Resident Visa?
Understand the Permanent Resident Status
A permanent resident is an individual who has been selected to get permanent resident status by the Canadian government. Permanent residents belong to another country but is not a Canadian citizen.
Who is not a permanent resident?
- A person who lives in Canada temporarily, for instance, a foreign worker or a student, is not a permanent resident.
- Someone who claims refugee status in Canada cannot become a permanent resident at that moment.
The permanent resident status can be achieved directly from abroad or inside Canada. For that, you need to apply to Canada’s multiple immigration programs.
Canada’s Immigration Programs
Anyone from outside Canada can become a permanent resident by applying to different Canada’s immigration programs. Each program has its own requirements and eligibility criteria.
One needs to get selected under any of the following immigration programs.
1. Express Entry Immigration Program
Express entry is one of Canada’s popular immigration system that offers Canada’s permanent residence status. The federal government announced this program in January 2015.
It is basically a new electronic immigration system to welcome skilled immigrants to Canada. Express entry program accepts the application for permanent residence from people who can fill jobs where needed.
The new express entry system allows Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to assess and recruits skilled immigrants. You can apply under the following federal economic immigration programs.
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- The Canadian Experience Class (FSTP)
- The Federal Skilled Trades Programs (CEC)
How the Express Entry Program Works?
- Check whether you are eligible for any federal economic immigration programs.
- Candidates need to enter the express entry pool by submitting their self-assessed profiles online.
- The candidate profile will be assessed using a comprehensive ranking system.
- Then the top-scoring will be invited to apply (ITA) via express entry draws.
- Who receives ITA must submit their applications for permanent residence within 60 days.
2. Provincial Nominee Programs
PNP program allows the provinces to nominate individuals to immigrate to Canadian provinces. The provincial government sets the eligibility criteria. If the applicant becomes successful, they can apply to IRCC for permanent residence status.
You may apply to the following provincial nominee program to become a permanent resident;
- Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program
- British Columbia PNP
- Manitoba PNP
- Newfoundland and Labrador PNP
- New Brunswick PNP
- Nova Scotia PNP
- Northwest Territories Nominee Program
- Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
- Prince Edward Island PNP
- Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program
- Yukon Nominee Program
3. Business Immigration
Canada offers excellent opportunities for foreigners who want to do business in Canada. The Canadian government has launched business class immigration under federal or provincial immigration programs.
This program is introduced to inspire investment and employment in Canada. Individuals with business experience and high net-worth may apply to become permanent residents under the following programs.
- Self-employed class
- Start-up visa
- Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program
In the province of Quebec has its own program for business individual, including;
- Quebec Entrepreneur Program
- Quebec Immigrant Investor Program
- Quebec Self-employed Program
4. Family Class Sponsorship Program
If you have a family member who lives in Canada, you may be eligible to become a permanent resident. Your family member has to be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen. It’s an excellent opportunity to immigrate to Canada.
The Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor their spouse or partner and children. However, the eligibility criteria for both sponsor and applicant are separate.
5. Canadian Experience Class
The individual who has worked or studied in Canada maybe qualify for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. This program allows temporary workers or international students to apply for residency. Both types of applicants must have work experience and meet specific eligibility criteria to qualify for CIC.
How to Get Permanent Resident Visa?
First and foremost, you must get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) under any of the above programs. Only then you can apply to get a permanent resident visa. Then you need to go through the following process;
- Provide a medical certificate and criminal record proof
- Submit your application for a permanent resident visa
- Pay the necessary application fees
- Meet immigration representatives for interviews
- All the required documents that support your application.
- Skill assessment test
- Sufficient funds as needed to support applicants throughout their initial time in Canada.
- Language test results
- Additional fees and documents
After qualifying for permanent residence, you’ll get a PR card that is issued for five years and can be renewed. You can live, work, and study in Canada permanently as a permanent residence.
Check Related Article: