A tourist visa is allowed for a limited period for leisure travel, with no business activities permitted. Usually, Canada allows a tourist to stay in for 6 months. However, if the immigration permit is less than that, it will be mentioned in the visitor’s Passport. After that specified period, the tourist must leave Canada.
What if the tourist wants to stay more? The simplest answer is s/he must apply for an extension at least 30 days before the expired date of his/her visa. Otherwise, the Canadian authority will have full power to take action against you.
Moreover, there are some steps and procedures to follow to apply and get an extension in Canada’s tourist visa. In the following part of the article, we will briefly focus on how to extend a tourist visa in Canada. Keep reading.
- 1 How to Extend a Tourist Visa in Canada?
- 2 What if one does not get a response after sending the request, but his/her visa period ends?
- 3 Can You Extend an Existing Extension?
- 4 Conclusion
How to Extend a Tourist Visa in Canada?
It is essential to extend a tourist visa, and for that, there are some steps and procedures. So, one can prolong a tourist visa in Canada by following the below-stated guidelines:
Who can apply for the Extension of a Tourist Visa?
The actual tourist can only apply for the Extension of a Tourist Visa. Only Certified Migration Counselors can complete this process on your behalf.
You must submit the following documents along with the forms to request a tourist visa extension:
- You must submit a letter that must indicate why you want to extend your visit to the country.
- You must submit a photocopy of your Passport. It must contain the page with your information and the time of entrance into Canada.
- You also have to submit evidence of your legal entry paper record in Canada.
- You must submit a photocopy of the marriage document if it is valid.
- You must submit the essential evidence to prove that you have an economical source to back up your visit. Because, with a tourist visa, one is not allowed to work.
How to apply for a tourist visa extension:
In most cases, you must apply online to extend your stay as a tourist. The procedure to apply online is listed below:
When you apply online, the authority gets your application immediately, which helps them process your application faster. If you have already applied on paper, you don’t have to resubmit your application online.
How Online Application Benefits You:
- Immediate result as there are no courier fees and mail delivery delay
- Less process time of application
- You can check whether your application is completed or not before the submission
- Quick submission of additional documents if they ask or required
- You can check your application status through your online profile
Online Application Process:
There are four steps for applying online for extending the tourist visa in Canada. They are:
Step 1: Gather Your Papers Needed
To apply online, at first, you will need:
- An scanned copy of all official papers (ex. Passport)
- A valid credit or debit card
Step 2: Read the instruction guide properly
Before applying online, you have to read all the instructions given in the form. After reading, you will know how to complete the online form and which fields are required to fill-up.
Step 3: Be prepared to answer the questions asked online
You have to answer some questions before uploading your forms. These answers are to create a personalized document checklist for you. You have to answer in the following areas:
- First Question: What would you like to do in Canada?”
Answer: Select: “Visit”
- Second Question: What is your current country/territory of residence?”
Answer: Select “Canada”
Step 4: Sign in or Create Your Online Profile
For applying online, you have to sign up for an account. So, if you don’t have an account online, you have to create one and if you have, then sign in. Your online account allows you to do the following things:
- Pay all the required fees
- Submit your application
- Check your application status
Cost of a Visa Extension:
The cost of a visa extension is 100 Canadian dollars. Payments made online accepted only on the migration page.
What if one does not get a response after sending the request, but his/her visa period ends?
Entry principles have a law passed to this kind of condition. Stating, the people who sent their extension appeals but didn’t get an answer will continue to live as a temporary resident until receiving a reply.
A temporary resident needs to apply to lengthen their period of approved stay. They can continue to live as temporary residents by law until a judgment is passed. For the time being, they get the implied status as a temporary resident.
They could not do anything in Canada until their renewal application is a grant. They have to prove that they have enough money to support themselves. They also need to present documented proof of their request at the POE(Port of Entry) to lengthen their permit.
After applying for an extension, any of the following things may occur:
- If permitted, the date of the matter on the paper will denote the date the verdict is passed.
- If denied, the candidate remains as a temporary resident until a verdict is passed.
- If rejected (unfinished), the candidate remains a temporary resident until the paper terminates.
Processes of Extension:
The following process occurs in the subsequent phases:
- The Case Processing Centre in Edmonton (CPC-E) gets the submission and confirms it.
- All Canada visitor proceedings need to be given by e-mail, apart from some exceptions.
At the CPC-E, a representative assesses the submission to decide whether the candidate is eligible for renewal or not.
- If accepted, then a paper containing the exactness of the extension situations is e-mailed to the candidate.
- If candidate status is terminated, they violate the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). In that case, eligibility for renewal is evaluated. If the candidate is not appropriate for renewal, then the Minister’s agent decides on the issue.
- If the candidate needs a health checkup, then the form, doctor board list, and guidelines are sent to the candidate through e-mail.
- Suppose a meeting is needed because of any above-stated causes. In that case, the submission is given to the local Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) agency near the candidate’s house.
A local representative analyses the case and plans for an interview with the candidate. Moreover, he accepts or rejects the submission.
- If accepted, then a paper containing the exactness of the situations is agreed upon and given to the candidate.
- If declined, the candidate is given the result and is directed to leave Canada.
If CPC-E has enough reasons to decline a submission, it is sent to the candidate through e-mail. By informing them of the denial and its causes. The candidate is also informed of the following sequence of the act. Such as whether they are eligible for applying again or not.
The agent’s verdict is recognized in the Field Operations Support System (FOSS) or the Global Case Management System (GCMS).
Therefore, these are the extensions and procedures undertaken for the implied status as a temporary resident in Canada.
Can You Extend an Existing Extension?
If you already have an extension, that means you have been at least one year. That is 6 months of your original entry plus 6 months of the extension. The extension process doesn’t have a limit on how many times you can apply for an extension.
However, you will need to prove that you have the funds (without working) and that you still have plans to return to your country. That is, you must have sufficient money to stay in Canada to support yourself. Depending on where and for how long you will remain in Canada. It is one of the main factors. If one doesn’t have adequate money or other sources, this can be problematic for him. It is the agent’s verdict.
Still, there is an opportunity to take in confirmation from an acquaintance, a stable inhabitant, or a naturalized citizen. That person will guarantee the Canadian authority to take care of your expenditures until you live here. He also must give a document of occupation and a photocopy of the latest Bill of Taxation. It is to confirm they have all the required earnings for an extra payment.
The purpose of these discussions is to give an overview of extending a tourist visa in Canada. Tourists are restricted in length of stay(usually six months) and are subject to various conditions.
Tourist visa needs extension if one needs to stay longer. For that, they need to follow some steps and procedures for applying and getting an extension; otherwise, the law can take action against them.
Overall, these are the following steps to follow for extending a tourist visa in Canada. I hope this article helped you to know how to extend a tourist visa in Canada.