One of the reasons why British Columbia is such a great choice for immigrants is the number of services set aside for newcomers to our nation. Adjusting to a new country can be hard, but immigrant settlement services can help make everything from securing a job to enrolling your kids in school a lot easier.
We want to make sure all of our clients know about all the services that are available to them (or will be available to them when they arrive) in their local areas of choice, which is why we’ve put this guide together.
Langley is Home (LH)
The Langley is Home settlement service is run by the Langley Community Services Society. They provide services to people of all ages, including:
- Needs Assessment and Referral
- Information & Orientation
- Language Training
- Employment Services
- Support Services
- Building Community Connections
Referral services can be especially helpful as they will help you plug into immigration services that meet your specific needs.
Langley Community Services also offers social circles to help meet different needs.
“Conversation Circles,” are low-stress groups that meets to practice everyday, conversational English in a relaxed environment. You’ll be able to meet new people while learning how to order food or access medical services.
The “Engaging Women” group is a social circle that lets immigrant women meet new friends and build a support network. It’s a space to share stories, recipes, and community resources.
There’s even a group for senior immigrants called “Seniors on the Move,” for immigrants who are 55 years or older. This group helps new immigrants recognize common frauds and scams and helps them plug into health and wellness resources.
There’s a “Youth in the House” program for immigrant youth and teens.
Financial Literacy Training
Every economy works a little differently. This service will help you master Canada’s banking system so that you can manage your money, obtain an an excellent credit rating, get the best deals on loans and stay out of financial trouble.
If you’re worried about social isolation when you arrive then this is a wonderful program to explore. It matches your family with a family right here in Langley. This family is ready to welcome and assist you, and may even become a source of new, lifelong friendships.
Early Learning Programs
Refugee children can take advantage of early learning programs. It’s designed for children ages 0 to 6.
The Langley Local Immigration Partnership
LLIP is an organization that helps plan new settlement and integration programs. Most of its leadership consists of others who have successfully immigrated to Canada from other nations. Joining LLIP may be an excellent way to give back once you feel you’re settled in the community.
This is a nationwide program with locations across BC. Services include:
- Needs assessment and referrals
- Orientation to recreation centers
- Orientation to libraries
- Orientation to technology
- Orientation to Canadian money management
- Orientation to Canadian family law and legal services
- Orientation to BC housing services
- Orientation to the Canadian tax system
- Parenting classes
- Senior connection
In addition, ISIP offers housing support and outreach to help newcomers find affordable housing.
Immigrant Services Society of BC
ISS offers a wealth of services. These include:
- First Language Settlement Support
- Resettlement assistance for individuals facing social isolation, economic pressure, pre-migration trauma, or even the challenges of single parenting in a new country.
- Help navigating the refugee claim process.
- Peer support and training programs for immigrant women.
- A multicultural youth circle to help immigrant teens make new friends.
- The “Hippy” program, which helps prepare children for school.
- Senior activities.
- A community connections program to help you meet friends by participating in events and activities.
- Employment assistance, including for skilled immigrants.
- Global talent loans that can help immigrants get recredentialed or reskilled.
- A free youth in tech program to help immigrant youth launch a rewarding career in tech.
- A 9-month pre-employment program for women who want to receive technical training.
- Online learning for migrant workers in BC.
- Training on sexual harassment in the workplace.
- Hospitality and tourism career training.
- Skills training for business administration.
- Job boards.
- Help shifting from a regulated career to an unregulated career.
- Self-employment and entrepreneurship programs for both youth and adults.
While not specifically aimed at immigrants, the Langley Community Services Society offers a wealth of support services that you can take advantage of.
- Family Counseling
- The Family Success Program which helps families struggling with child protection concerns or family functioning challenges.
- Child Care Resources & Referrals
- Family Place, which is a free play-based program for children ages 0-6 and their caregivers which provides a variety of engaging, enriched learning activities.
- A Skills to Success youth employment program.
- Fast Track training for educational assistants.
- Substance use services.
Again, don’t be afraid to take advantage of any of these services if you need or want to. They can help you make your life in Langley more successful. Even highly successful people face challenges from time to time. Having access to people who can help is one of the advantages of living in a close-knit and safe community like Langley, BC.
Need help immigrating to Langley, BC?
While some of these programs also offer legal clinics, none of them offer experts in immigration law. Before you need to worry about taking advantage of any of these services you need to make sure that your visa application is correct and that you’ve chosen the right immigration program.
Our team can help. Our skilled, experienced immigration attorneys have helped thousands of immigrants begin their new life in British Columbia.
We even have attorneys on staff who speak fluent Punjabi and fluent Mandarin.
Get started by calling (604) 394-2777 to make an appointment today. We are happy to set up a video chat appointment if you are not currently located near our office in Surrey, BC. Our team is ready to work with you!