Welcome To Immigration in Canada

Talk to expert+1 800 123 4567Apply Now
Contact time

Mon-Sat: 9.00-18.00

PR Rules in Alberta for International Students and Graduates

May 31, 2020BY Anik Chowdhury

When a worker or student comes to Canada, they dream of two things- work experience and permanent residency (PR). A work permit can lead a worker to PR. However, there are a few PR rules in Alberta for international students.

Are you a graduate student in Alberta and about to finish your degree in your field of study? Then, you have a great chance to become a permanent resident of Canada. The rules in Alberta for PR give you the opportunity.

The CIC rules for PR in Alberta were modified in 2018. Now, you have more opportunities to stay and work in Alberta. However, as a new process, it requires professional help from expert immigration lawyers. Immigration in Canada is there to help you go through the application process smoothly and securely.

PR to Canadian Citizen

The Government of Canada, as well as Province or Territory governments, have developed several ways for visitors, students, and workers to become Canadian citizens. The first step is permanent residency (PR).

After you become a PR, you have to meet the following criteria to become a Canadian citizen

  • English or French language proficiency through a language test
  • Lived at least 1095 days in Canada out of 5-years as PR
  • Filed taxes for at least 3 years out of the last 5

Rules for PR in Alberta for International Students

There are two rules to get PR in Alberta. The provincial government has made some changes to the existing systems to make it more quick and easy for Alberta employers and international students.

1.    Alberta Opportunity System

This process was introduced by the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) in 2018. This system replaced the old Employer-Driven and Strategic Recruitment.

You must have a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) in hand to apply in the Alberta Opportunity Stream. It will work as the pathway towards Express Entry if your experience matches any of the professions listed in the National Occupation Classification (NOC).

Read Also: How to get Permanent Residency by Social Work Jobs in Canada?

Educational Qualification

Along with your PGWP, you must have a degree/diploma/approved certificate from an approved Alberta institution.

Work Experience Eligibility

  • Minimum 6-months of work experience in the field of study at Alberta
  • Previous work experience should match with the works within the last 18-months
  • Job skill levels O, A, B, C, and D in NOC
  • The professional cannot be listed in High-wage and low-wage occupations list and AOS Ineligible Occupations list

Language Proficiency

  • CLB level 5 for all jobs
  • CLB level 7 for NOC 3413 jobs (patient service associates, orderlies, and nurse aides)

Other selection factors

A few factors will be considered during the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) process. If you are in a paid co-op job, you can use the 6-month job experience from it.

However, the PGWP have to meet the following criteria

  • Obtained in Alberta
  • It was a full-time co-op (minimum 30 hours per week)
  • It was a part of the program of study in an Alberta institution
  • Directly related to the current profession

If you can meet the above criteria, you are eligible to apply for the Alberta Opportunity Stream introduced by the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP).

You will get a nomination certificate upon approval of the application. It will work as your invitation to apply for PR through the paper application.

However, it is always better to assess your eligibility by an immigration expert or law firm. Contact Rosenblatt Immigration Law for a fair and quick assessment and move to the application process.

2.    Alberta Express Entry Program

Do you have an express entry profile in the Federal Express Entry system? If yes, you are eligible for this program in Alberta.

This program manages the pool of applicants in three ways. Nevertheless, for PGWP holder graduates, two ways work best.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

This is a little more experience-based program than the AINP. You need at least 1-year of work experience in a paid job that falls under the NOC list. If you have multiple jobs, they need to be in the same NOC type.

You must have a degree/diploma/certificate from any Canadian DLI. The language proficiency for this program is CLB level 7.

A score under the FSW selection factor is vital for this process. You have to score at least 67 out of 100  in the Comprehensive Ranking System score (CRS) to be considered for this program.

Your age, education, job experiences, job offer, language proficiency, qualification of spouse (if applicable) all determine your CRS score.

Make sure you have sufficient funds to support your stay in Canada with your family. Any valid job offer or work authorization will work as a plus point for your application.

Canadian Experience Class

Unlike the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Canadian Experience Class is a little liberal according to job types.

You will need at least 1-year experience; however, the jobs are not required to be continuous and listed in NOC. Besides, you can have the experience with any kind of authorization, not within your full-time studies.

Educational qualification is not essential. Nevertheless, it will help you to enhance your CRS score under the Express Entry immigration programs.

Language proficiency is essential. You will need a CLB level 7 if applying for NOC 0 or A level experience. For NOC B level experience, you will need CLB level 5.

Ultimately, you have to score as high as possible in the CRS score to become eligible for this program. Therefore, education, language proficiency, skills, and spouse’s skill (if applicable) will enhance your chances.


Alberta is now one of the top choices for PR seekers in Canada. The modified PR rules in Alberta for international students make the process quick, simple, and fair. Thus, a large number of international students are using these rules to get PR in Alberta.

The entire application process has both assessments and paperwork. For a fast and sure success result, consult Immigration in Canada. Our immigration experts will ensure correct application procedures to get your PR following the rules for PR in Alberta for international students.

    Free Immigration Assessment

    Frequently Asked Question

    To get permanent residency, you have to live for at least three years in Canada. You also need some other documents to apply for Citizenship.

    In generally takes six months to get the citizenship after taking the Citizenship Test and Interview.

    People aged between 18 to 54 have to take the citizenship test and Interview.

    Oath taking ceremony generally takes 45 to 60 mins to complete. However, the time may vary upon the number of applicants and citizens.

    Yes, any Citizen who is a Canadain Citizen can renounce his citizenship status if he wants. He may apply for renouncing the citizenship under certain conditions.

    The answer is yes. You can again apply to resume your Citizenship status though you have renounced it once.

    The total fees for applying for Citizenship in Canada is CAN $ 630. Among the prices, $530 is for processing fee, and $100 is for the right of  Citizenship fee. But for minors aged under 18, the processing fee is $100.