Do you know which province is the second most populous in Canada? It is Quebec, situated in the central east area of Canada. The area is about 1.542 million km², and it has more than 8 million people. The geographical location of this province is quite fascinating for having a quality lifestyle because Quebec provides a lot of opportunities. People speak french primarily in this region.
In this article, we will discuss different aspects of living in Quebec city.
- 1 The City Quebec
- 2 Pros of Living in Quebec
- 3 Hard Facts You Must Know About Quebec (Cons)
- 4 FAQs: Common Queries about Quebec City
- 5 The End
The City Quebec
Quebec is surrounded by Ontario (west), Hudson Bay (north), and US state (south). The city has a varying season based on which area you are living like as you may find mild summer and cold winter in the northern area and moderate temperature in the southern part.
There are three national parks; La Mauricie, Forillon, and, Mingan Archipelago covering 358 sq. miles. These parks are quite renowned for camp tasks, hiking, or experiencing wildlife.
Comparing with other provinces in Canada, the average income in Quebec is lower ($70480/per year). But the other side of the coin, this province provides an extreme quality lifestyle. High tax rates bring higher public services, transportation facilities, and quality education is the tactic of this province. The geographical location and the lifestyle can make the cost of living in Quebec a bit on the higher side.
As we already mentioned about the primary language of Quebec, that around 81% of people speak the French language. You may find that English is quite uncommon among minority groups. So, the number of bilingual people is less than half of the total population.
Most of the people follow catholic or protestant faiths along with there are some other types of worshippers. Among 8 million the 50% live in Quebec and the rest live in Montreal.
Quebec is famous for having the largest freshwater source (3% of the world) due to its half-million lakes, rivers, or streams. In the southern area, the topography is lowlands and mountains on the north. The economy is initially based on natural resources, such as fishing, agriculture, timber, etc.
But as the world is modernizing gradually, this city is experiencing bright progress in the aerospace field as well as the IT field. The main exporting products are pulp, paper, agriculture, and forestry products.
There are a couple of colleges and universities in Quebec where you can find education both in English and french. Besides, some institutes provide higher education in French. You probably have heard of McGill University, which is one of the top universities in the country. This university provides an international program that makes the number of students 39500.
Quebec is reputed for its tourist spots which also contributes to the national economy. You can find the famous entertainers Celine Dion in Quebec. Along with you will see several historical monuments, theatres, museums, galleries, and natural sites. People are involved with a lot of outdoor activities like hiking, camping, hunting, skiing, etc.
Pros of Living in Quebec
Quebec is an ideal place to settle down for its good reputation, such as job scopes, education systems, reduced crime rate, and equality. Here go some benefits that you get from Quebec.
- Electricity cost in Quebec is the lowest considering other provinces. The average cost is estimated at $0.073. The source of this electricity is the hydroelectric dams which is a renewable source.
- Housing cost in both rural and urban areas tends to below. This city upholds 72% of the average home price overall Canadian average. The family home price covers 55% in Canada. Based on affordability, Quebec is ranked as top of the top 68 cities in North America.
- Quebec consists of a humid climate so that there are four seasons in a year. The summer season is unexpectedly comfortable, and the winter season is quite difficult for those who are from the southern area. You may find the suburbs of metropolitan areas unavailable during heavy snowfall.
- We have mentioned already about the sporting activities in Quebec so that this place is a source of refreshment. In summer, you play hiking, cycling, kayaking, or canoeing, whereas, in early spring, you can play skiing, snowboarding, hockey, etc.
Hard Facts You Must Know About Quebec (Cons)
- The cold weather might not be convenient for people who have health issues like muscle or bone alignment. Besides, your psychological condition might be influenced by the cold weather.
- The heating bills are quite high in Quebec, such as natural gas pricing is 63% higher than in Ontario. But people use the alternative way such as using the electrical furnaces as the electricity pricing is lower than any other cities.
- Language is a common barrier to those who are unfamiliar with the french language because most of the people speak in French here.
- A high tax rate can be an issue to discourage one from living in Quebec. This city is holding a greater income tax comparing with other cities.
- You can get beer in any store, but you may not find wine or spirits unless from the Societe des Alcools du Quebec(SAQ). It is a governmental institution where legal monopoly is followed.
FAQs: Common Queries about Quebec City
Here we have answered some of the commonly asked questions in short for those who are thinking of living or settling in Quebec city.
Where can I go shopping?
Shopping in Quebec is not a big deal. You can find a couple of shopping centers here. Some of the famous outlets are Rue Saint-Jean, The Old Port & Place Royale. In Petit Champlain District, Saint-Rich District, or Art District, you may find a couple of shops, boutiques, galleries, and also food shops.
What are the common events in Quebec?
The name of some common events in Quebec is Festival d’Ete de Quebec, the winter carnival, and New France festivals.
Why is Quebec prominent for having standard life?
There are a couple of matters that make life in Quebec easier. For instance, freedom to business, quality health care, security is some of the top considerations that make lives easier here.
What is the estimated annual salary in Quebec?
The estimated annual salary of Quebec City is around $54345.
Which languages are acceptable in Quebec?
English and French, though French is widely spoken here. But for newcomers, it is okay to interact in English as people also understand English.
Quebec has numerous positive aspects that inspire somebody to settle down here. The scenic beauty of this area is marvelous, and the variance in climate change gives you a different lifestyle time after time. So, if you are looking for a quality lifestyle, you must visit here or consider living in Quebec to experience the real-life scenario and pick the right decision.