The Government of Canada allowing refugees to settle in Canada. Refugees are those people who fled from their country due to a justifiable fear of harassment. They are forced to flee and cannot return to their country.
All about Refugee Immigration Canada
The Government has introduced two programs to help refugees;
- Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program- for those who need protection from outside Canada
- In-Canada Asylum Program- for those who claim refugee protection from within Canada
Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program
This program is designed for people who seek protection from outside Canada. The Government of Canada is working with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to find a prolonged refugee solution.
To become a selected refugee of Canada, the applicant must be;
- Referred by the UNHCR or other designated referral organization
- Sponsored by any individual or private sponsorship group
Also, the person who cannot return home due to fear of harassment based on race, religion, nationality, or political opinion. And, the person must be from a civil or armed war-affected country.
The applicants cannot settle as a refuge if they;
- Have another solution for protection from another country
- Become a citizen of another country
- Choose to return to their home country
- The reason for fear of persecution doesn’t exist anymore.
In-Canada Asylum Program
This program is designed for people within Canada who has a fear of harassment in their home country. They make refugee protection claims after coming to Canada.
This program will provide refugee protection only of the person;
- Has a well-founded fear of persecution
- risk of torture or cruel punishment in their home countries
The people cannot claim refugee protection who;
- have been convicted of serious criminal offenses
- had previously denied refugee claims
How to Apply?
Step 1: Decide Where to Apply
You can apply for refugee status in two ways;
- You can either apply for refugee status at any ports of entry, including airports, seaports, and land border. Your application will be referred to the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB).
- You can apply to certain IRCC offices.
Step 2: Get the Application Packages
You will have to provide information on your background, family, and the reason for your claim as a refugee. You need to provide this information in the forms in an application package.
Step 3: Go To a Hearing
If you are accepted to claim as a refugee, then you’ll have for a hearing at IRB office. You must bring your passport, driver’s license, and other necessary documents.