In Canada, if you have legal permission to live in Canada by the immigration authority, you might be able to pay your tax and get the benefits from it. After one year, you need to pay the taxes or have to file a tax file. After the first tax year, you are no longer a newcomer to Canada.
Under certain conditions, a person is eligible to pay the fees.
You live in Canada Permanently
If you are a Permanent Citizen in Canada, you have to pay the taxes. The conditions are
- If you have a file to return
- You want to claim a refund
- You want to claim the work income tax benefits
- If you have a spouse or common-law partner
- Tax benefits related to pension
- You want to dispose of a taxable property
To the Immigrants
People who are immigrants from other country lived in Canada need to pay the taxes. If you have significant residential ties like
- You are a protected person, for example, refugees
- People who have applied for permanent resident status
- People who have received Permanent Residency status from IRCC
- People who have approval to stay in Canada from IRCC
Credits and Benefits
You can enjoy the credits and benefits related to tax paying if you-
- Are a permanent resident in Canada, even though you have a temporary address.
- Are a protected person
How to apply for benefits and Credits?
You can open a tax file for your child and his education. To apply for the tax benefits related to Goods and Services Tax or Harmonised Sales Tax, you must have to show the following documents
- Proof of your permanent residency issued by Immigration Refugees and Canadian Citizenship.
- Proof of temporary residence from IRCC
- Citizenship Certificate
- Birth Certificate as proof that your children born outside Canada
- Permanent or temporary Mailing address
- A void cheque if you are going to direct deposit.
Manage Your Account
After applying, you do not need to apply every year. You have to maintain the files and have to update the information every year.
File your Income Tax and Benefit Return
If you want to enjoy the benefits and credits, you have to pay the income tax in due time, even if you have no income that year. Moreover, if you have a spouse or a legal law partner, he/ she need to pay the taxes also.
Keep your personal information up to date
To ensure your return of benefits and credits, you must keep all your files up to date.
Keep your supporting documents if CRA asked
In the future, Canadian Revenue Agency may ask for the materials to validate your account. So, you must prepare all your papers ready.
By Signing Up
- You can also sign up for direct deposit with your mail so that you never miss it.
- Open a MyCRA account in your mobile or the site
- You can also use an EFILE or NETFILE service provider to ensure your tax return.
After getting your permanent residency card, you can visit outside Canada by using your PR card or Permanent Resident Travel Document. You have to show this card in the boardingRead More