International students can stay in Canada to live and work after graduation. Graduate students can gain work experience in their professional field by applying for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP).
Post-Graduation Work Permit may help graduates to qualify for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). This work permit may be issued for up to three years after the study program.
Let’s know how to stay in Canada after you graduated
To be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, the applicant must;
- Have completed a study program that lasted 900 hours or more or at least eight months
- Have a valid study permit while applying
- Be of 18 years old and older while applying
- Have been applied for a work permit within 180 days of completion of study
- Provide a supporting letter from your institution, such as duration of studies, program code, and more.
Who Cannot Apply?
You are not eligible for PGWP, only if;
- Have already applied for a PGWP
- Studied English or French as a second language
- Took part in Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC
- Took general interest
- Had funding from GAC
- Acquired the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
- Took part in Canada-China scholar’s exchange program
- Took part in Organization of American States Fellowship Program
- Have completed the majority of the study program through online or e-learning
- Have completed your study program from a non-Canadian institution
How Long Is A Post-Graduation Work Permit Valid?
- If your program lasted more than eight months but less than two years, your PGWP is valid up to the same length as your study program.
- If your study program lasted two years or more, your PGWP is valid for three years.
The Application Process
If you are eligible to apply for a PGWP, you’ll have to apply within up to 180 days. Follow these steps to apply.
- At first, get the application package from the IRCC website. Read the guide and instructions carefully.
- For PGWP, you’ll have to pay “Open Work Permit Holder” and “standard work permit” fee. Pay your fees online, including biometrics fees.
- Fill out the form according to instruction and, finally, submit your application.
The economy of Canada is one of the strongest in the World. Canada is the 10th largest GDP by nominal and 16th largest GDP by PPP in the world. It