Are you living in Canada as a visitor and need to extend your stay? Well, then you need to apply for extending your stay before your current status expires. Here we’ll tell you about the process, who can apply and how to apply.
When your application to extend your stay in Canada is approved, you will get a visitor record. It means you need a visitor record to extend your stay in Canada.
What to do to stay longer in Canada or to extend your stay in Canada
What Is A Visitor Record?
Visitor record is a document that shows the duration of your stay in Canada. It includes the date when you must leave Canada. Moreover, it doesn’t guarantee your entry to Canada.
Who Can Apply For A Visitor Record?
- The person who is planning to extend their stay in Canada as a visitor.
- The person who is about to change their permit type. E.g., from a study permit to a visitor record and from a work permit to a visitor record.
Who Doesn’t Need A Visitor Record?
Some people only need a new visitor visa instead of a visitor record. If you;
- Are already living in Canada,
- Hold a valid study or work permit,
- Want to leave and return to Canada,
- Your existing visitor visa is expired, or it was valid for only one visit.
If you meet all the above condition, it means you need a new visitor visa.
When to Apply For a Visitor Record?
Remember you should apply to extend your stay at least 30 days before your status expire. You’ll get the expiry date status on;
- The stamp in your passport. If there is no stamp, it means the expiry date is six months from the day you have arrived.
- Your work permit
- Your study permit
- Your visitor record, only if you’ve already extended your stay.
How to Apply For A Visitor Record?
Most people apply online because it takes minimum time for processing, and no courier fee is required. Here is how to apply online;
- Before you apply, keep ready the electronic copies of your documents that are needed. You’ll also need a credit or debit card to pay your fees.
- You’ll find an instruction guide in the Government of Canada website. Make sure to read it thoroughly.
- You’ll find a form to fill in their official website. There you’ll also get some questions to answer. Prepare your answer before.
- To apply online, you’ll need to create an account to pay your fees, submit the application, and checking status.
According to the Government of Canada, your application will take approximately 109 days to process your request.
What Happen If Your Status Expires?
You can still stay in Canada until the government decides on your application.