Do you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport?
Know how to apply for an ETA Visa
What is an eTA?
An Electronic Travel Authorization is an entry condition needed for a non-Canadian citizen to travel by air. An eTA is linked to the traveler’s passport, which is valid for up to five years as well.
You can travel to Canada for short stays with a valid eTA. However, you’ll not need an eTA for traveling within Canada. It doesn’t guarantee your entry to Canada; you’ll need to convince the officer for that.
Do You Need an eTA For Traveling to Canada?
Yes, if you are a-
- Visa-exempt foreign nationals or non-Canadian citizen, you’ll need an eTA. While arriving by bus, car, train or boat, you don’t need an eTA either.
- Lawful permanent residents of the U.S, you’ll need an eTA. In that case, you must show a valid Green card and a valid passport during check-in.
Who May Be Eligible to Apply For An eTA?
- The citizen from select visa-required countries, like Brazilian, Bulgarian, and Rumanian may be eligible to apply. They need only an eTA rather than a visa to travel to Canada by air. While arriving by car, bus, train, or even a cruise ship, they need a visitor visa.
Who Cannot Apply For An eTA?
- The Canadian citizen or American-Canadian citizen need a valid Canadian, or U.S passport cannot apply for an eTA.
- Canadian permanent residents or former Canadian residents with a PR status cannot apply for an eTA.
Alien passport holders or stateless individuals cannot apply for an eTA.
Who Are Exempt from eTA Requirements?
- U.S citizens are exempt from eTA requirements, but they need valid U.S passport.
- See if you match to the eTA exemption list on their website.
How to Apply For an Eta?
You can apply for an eTA in official Government of Canada Website. It may take only a few minutes for approval. Or else, some request takes a few days for submitting supporting documents.
There is a form available on the official Government of Canada Website. Apart from filling the form, you will also need;
- A valid passport,
- A debit or credit card,
- An email address,
- Answer a few questions.
Be careful and avoid mistakes like;
- Do not enter the wrong passport number to avoid problems while flying to Canada. There is a number at the top of your passport information page. Use the number carefully.
How much does an eTA cost?
- An application of eTA costs CAD $7 for a person. You can apply and for one person at a time.