- Employer-specific work permit
- Openwork permit
Employer-Specific Work Permit
It allows you to work in Canada based on a few conditions like;
- The name of employer for whom you’ll work
- The duration of your job
- Your job location
To get the permit, your employer must complete specific steps. The employer must provide a copy of an offer of employment number to include with your application.
Open Work Permit
It allows you to work for an employer who is not listed as ineligible to fulfill certain conditions. Also, you cannot work for an employer who offers striptease, erotic dance, or escort service.
As a temporary worker or a live-in caregiver, you can extend or change the status of a work permit. If your work permit is about to expire or need changes, you need to apply at least 30 days before the expiry date.Read More
No matter what type of work permit you are applying for, you must;
- Verify the officer that you will leave Canada once your work permit expires.
- Follow the law, and you do not have any criminal records.
- Prove that you have enough money to support yourself and your family.
- Be in good health.
- Not intend to work for an employer who is listed with ‘Ineligible” status.
- Not intend to work for an employer who offers striptease, erotic dance, or escort services.
- Provide the office other documents when they ask for it.
You can apply for a work permit from outside Canada. In that case, you may need to meet visa office requirements depending on the country you are applying to.
You can apply for a work permit from inside Canada, only if you;
- Have a valid study or work permit
- Your spouse or parents hold a valid study or work permit
- Have recently graduated from a Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded technical or trade school, or other eligible schools.
- Have a temporary work permit
- Are waiting for your permanent residence application decision
- Are about to or will claim refugee protection
- Are recognized as a convention refugee
- Are allowed to work in Canada without a work permit.
- Are an investor, trader or professional under NAFTA.
How to Apply?
You can apply online for a work permit at the IRCC website or on paper. Whether you apply from outside or inside Canada, you must give your biometric after you apply.
Get the application package from the IRCC website and fill the form accurately. Then pay the necessary fees and then submit your application. The processing time varies by country.