If you want to get your study permit faster, depending on your country, you can get it through the Student Direct Stream (SDS). The government of Canada may try to process your SDS application within 20 calendar days. It may take longer, as well.
How can you get a study permit faster
The first condition for applying through SDS is that the candidate must be a legal resident of;
- The Philippines
Apart from that, the candidate must;
- Have an acceptance letter from any post-secondary Designated Learning Institution
- Pay the tuition fees for the first year of study
- Apply from outside Canada
- Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000
- Get a medical exam before applying
- Get a police certificate before applying
- Hold a most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript
- Get language test result with
- A score of 6 in each skill (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) on IELTS
- Test d’évaluation de françaisqual that is equal to CLB score of at least 7 in each skill
- Other documents to support your application depending on your country
If you are applying to study in Quebec, you must have a Certificate d’acceptation du Québec.
To apply through SDS, you must get a medical exam from a doctor that has been approved by IRCC.
Who Cannot Apply?
If you are not from the countries mentioned above, you cannot apply through SDS. Instead, you can apply for a regular study permit.
What Is a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)?
GIC is a Canadian Investment with a guaranteed rate of return. Many Canadian banks offer GICs; you’ll get the eligible bank list on the IRCC website. Make sure the bank provides you;
- A GIC certificate
- A letter of attestation
- An Investment Directions Confirmation or
- An Investment Balance Confirmation
The bank that gives you GICs must;
- Hold the GIC in student account or investment account that can access after arriving in Canada.
- Confirm your identity before providing any funds to you.
- Release the funds to you by providing an initial lump sum after arriving in Canada.
- Remind you about the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months.
If you get funds from a bank that doesn’t meet these criteria, you cannot apply through Student Direct Stream.
How to Apply?
To get a study permit through SDS, you must apply online as there is no paper application available. Before you apply, make sure to read the instruction form to fill out the forms. Also, get your electronic copies of the necessary documents ready. You must give biometrics as soon as possible and pay the fees when the officer asks for it.
When your application is approved, you’ll get;
- A letter of introduction
- An electronic travel authorization (eTA) or Visitor visa
- You’ll obtain the study permit when you show your letter of introduction to the officer after arriving in Canada.